Thursday, July 31, 2008

Summertime

Summertime has arrived in all its hellish fury. The heat hasn't so much bothered me, until this past week and I don't think it has much to do with me being pregnant. I'm not entirely sure of the temperatures, but I know it has to be in the high 90s with heat indexes in the 100s. I have avoided or dreaded doing errands for the simple fact of hauling myself (and 2 babies) in and out of the car. I am generally drenched in sweat by the time I reach my destination and unless I am inside for a good 30 minutes, I don't cool down completely before having to do it all again when leaving. Even Miles' little face gets red and flushed just from being carried to and from the car. Also - why hasn't anyone come up with some nifty contraption to keep car seats cool? If its out there, none of our stores carry it. And they should. We live in the South - the heat happens every year. Its not a surprise. Anyway, I try very hard to not let any of the hot metal parts of the carseat touch him when putting him in and out, but it occasionally happens. I know it can't be pleasant. I have read on parent hacks of using one of those car window reflective shields and place around the car seat. I haven't tried it yet. I think i have also read to just cover it up with a blanket, but I don't see how that is going to work. Anyone else have a trick for hot car seats?
(Note: There seems to be a product listed on the above parent hacks post called the "seat chiller" but requires you taking it in and out of the freezer. It is also out of stock. Bummer.)
I don't know that being pregnant makes the heat any more unbearable - though people assure me it does. My friends seem to be equally as uncomfortable and sweaty. I avoid going outside if at all possible and so do they. My mantra for this pregnant summer has been "I would be hot even if I wasn't carrying another person inside of me" but it doesn't seem to help me visualize staying cool anymore. Our air conditioning cannot keep up with the temperatures and the only solution seems to be either snow cones or popsicles. (Homer voice) MMMmmmm - snow cones. I would eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner but I suppose a diet of frozen water and sugar isn't exactly a part of your balanced meal.

Maybe these pics of Miles and Allison in the backyard pool will help you think cool thoughts.

Very serious Allison shot. I had a hard time getting either kid to smile for these pics.
I guess it was the heat.


Backyard pool water is delicious. I just hope he didn't catch any parasites.

Allison and Miles both enjoyed letting all the pool water run out of the pool.
Kim and I weren't as impressed.

Shoveling water is hard work and no laughing matter.

Finally, a smile! If I poured cold water down my belly, I would smile too!

2 comments:

Dennis and Danielle said...

Natalie does the same thing - she tried to drink pool water, and recently beach water (yuck!) Haven't figured out yet how to get her to STOP - LOL.
dani

Beth said...

cute pics. I use the shiny car reflector and put it around Scarlett's car seat. It really does work