Friday, July 11, 2008

A double stroller...

I am super excited to say that we will be the proud owners of a Phil and Ted's Classic Stroller (with the double attachment) soon. I have been debating this issue ever since we found out a second baby was on the way because in all honesty I really don't like double strollers. They are HUGE. The front and back ones are like pushing a school bus around and the side-by-side options are just ridiculous. I can barely fit Miles' single small stroller down the aisles at most department stores and there are doorways that I know you couldn't fit a side-by-side through, so I really did not know what we were going to do. Not only because of size but also weight. They are ridiculously heavy AND after you get two big babies in there, it will be 50+ lbs.
While we were in Washington D.C. I saw a handful of these very interesting strollers. (Its no fair that these major metropolitan cities get all the cool stuff like IKEA - and other things which we will never see the face of until they are 10 years used on ebay. But that is for another blog.) You would have thought I saw a three headed green version of a purple people eater. I know my jaw was on the floor. We were on the tour bus when I saw the first one and I wanted to stop the bus, get off, and ask the people what it was and where they got it. I had NEVER seen anything like it and it was absolutely PERFECT. After that, I saw a few others with it as well so I knew it couldn't be that exotic. I was never able to ask anyone about it but when I returned home from our trip, I immediately started some research and found it!
What I saw was a Phil and Ted's stroller with the double attachment. If I explained it to you, you would think I was nuts and since a picture is worth a thousand words here is how it works:

The bottom two images show the double attachment. You can lie the infant flat in the seat and toddler in the front with the attachment. Or with two toddlers one can move to the back. We chose the classic version for monetary reasons. It was quite a bit cheaper for what we can only see as aesthetic features. The more expensive versions look sportier but when you have two cute babies in there no one will notice the stroller. (Wink.) I guess its the same difference as having either upholstery or leather interior in your ride.
I cannot express how excited I am to be getting this. I have been jumping up and down (on the inside) like a little kid and I get all giggly when I think about it. Like I said, I have been mulling in my brain as to what we were going to do for walks around the lake, and trips to the mall and I feel this is the best possible solution. Its such a relief that someone has actually thought this through with some parental reasoning and created a practical solution. I could kiss him (or her). I guess I should kiss Phil and Ted. (Does anyone else think of Bill and Ted and their Excellent Adventure everytime?)

Unfortunately we do not have it in our possession just yet. We had to order it from the world wide web since there is not one single carrier of this in our city (or state for that matter.) And, better yet, it is on backorder. The message left on my phone says that it should be shipped in a couple of weeks. As long as a couple of weeks don't turn into a couple more, I am okay with it.

Good things come to those who wait - right?

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Oooh, I'm excited for you!

I ordered some crib sheets today and I'm pretty excited about getting that package, but not to the extent of a well-designed baby stroller. :)