Friday, February 29, 2008

Monkey Egg...

For the past four or five years I have been an artist for Youth Home's fundraiser Eggshibition. It is usually the only artistic thing I do all year and keeps me in practice you could say. I commented on my egg process on my facebook page and got more response than I have on anything else so I decided to post the final product.

I wanted to use a different medium for my egg this year. Knowing I would not have days and days to work on it, I thought sewing would be a quicker easier medium. (I am not sure why I thought that.) It may have been quicker if I was a professional seamstress but I am a novice for sure. It only took me about two days of working which is less than any of my other eggs.
When deciding what to transform my egg into, I try to think of things that are of a similar shape. My best egg was a penguin - and I attribute that to the penguin being essentially the same shape as the egg. I thought a monkey's body was similar to the shape of the egg, but I knew I could not do a serious realistic monkey. Plus that has already been done. Last year I did a "kid friendly" themed egg and it was more successful than any of my previous eggs (as far as fundraising.) So I have also decided that kiddie eggs suit me better - not only do they raise more money but they fit my personality better. So that is how I arrived at doing a sock monkey for the egg. I guess I will see this year if it has proven successful again.

Sock Monkey Egg turned out better than I thought. I always get into making my egg (usually at the last possible minute) and think - Oh no, this isn't working and looks terrible. But it always turns out well. I tried to think of a reason why Sock Monkey was so pudgey compared to his other counterparts - and realized he must have eaten too many bananas. So that is the title of my egg this year, "Too Many Bananas."



If you don't have anything to do next Friday night I suggest you come bid on "Too Many Bananas" or one of the other eggs at Eggshibition. It is always fun to see how so many different people turn their eggs into works of art and it is for a great cause!

4 comments:

The Haywoods said...

Love the sock monkey....it turned out super cute!

The Haywoods said...

Love the sock monkey - it turned out too cute!

Unknown said...

Looks great Deanna! You can go to www.YouthHome.cMarket.com to view more of this year's eggs.

Matt and Kim Cleveland said...

"Silly Monkey. What are you doing monkey? Eating a banana?" This is what Allison said when I showed her the pic. I think it looks good!