Tuesday, October 14, 2008

State Fair


I was so excited to take Miles to the state fair this year. In hindsight, I had inflated expectations that Miles would be equally as excited about it. We hired a babysitter to watch Grant so we wouldn't have to haul him around and so we could focus all our attention on Miles. We had fun but it was not the experience I was hoping it to be. I don't know where all the animals went but there were maybe 6 cows in all the stables. Maybe they were showing them? I don't know? We did get to see a few bunnies and luckily AR Farm Bureau had an Ag display with animals . Miles did not get as excited as I thought he would. Actually he was terrified (trembling) if a cow or sheep made a noise while he was in arm's reach.



We did enjoy some fair fare - gyros, corndogs, lemonade, fried oreos, and some pineapple whip. We wanted to try some fried Wisconsin cheese and I really wanted some roasted corn on the cob but our pocketbook nor stomachs would let us. We stayed away from the chocolate dipped bacon (seriously) and the hot beef sundae. I don't understand the allure of chocolate covered bacon. Chocolate is good. Bacon is good. But not together. I guess I can't knock it until I have tried it.



We only observed the rides and I can really see how the fair was probably an overwhelming experience for Miles. It was extremely loud by all the rides. You practically had to scream in each other's ears to talk and with all the lights and colors, not to mention screaming carnies and passengers as they fell out of the sky, it is more like a nightmare. Luckily there was a family section and the rides were more of the classic variety and the carnies weren't quite as scary. I thought Miles would be pointing left and right saying "whatsthat" and screaming with excitement. He didn't. He just sat there motionless looking left and right. Under normal circumstances that would be a great thing. This time I was disappointed.



There is always next year. I will have to find out where all the animals went as to not repeat our experience and maybe Miles won't be so overwhelmed. At least it only cost a dollar to get in. And maybe next year I will try that chocolate dipped bacon if it is still around.

1 comment:

Matt and Kim Cleveland said...

Allison wasn't as thrilled with the fair as I wanted her to be either. We saw a million cows and sheep and goats. We went to the tiger show and she could have cared less. But she loved watching the rides and all the lights. She rode the carousel and loved it! But we ended up having to pay full price - so we could have gone to the zoo for cheaper and ride the carousel there.