Wednesday, September 26, 2007

I was asking for it...

I was asking for it. While chatting with a friend over lunch, the subject of Miles' health came up and I mentioned that we had only had a couple little colds. Today we got a big bug of some sort. I got him out of his crib at 7:15am this morning (a very late morning for us) and he was HOT. I fed him and then took his temperature. 100.6 under the arm. Great - so much for the picture of good health. I could not tell what was wrong. He sounded a little congested but no runny nose. His ears didn't seem to bother him. He was eating fine. No nasty diapers. So after calling everyone I knew, I decided we should go to the doctor. While making all those phone calls Miles sat in my lap half-heartedly moaning and fell asleep. Unheard of! He obviously was not feeling himself.
We went to the doctor and it was the perkiest he has felt all day. Of course. You know how your car never makes that noise that it has been making for 6 weeks when you take it to the mechanic. I've decided kids are the same way after talking with several moms. There is no sickness that a roll of the crinkly doctor's paper won't fix. He has a little virus. No biggie according to the doctor. Well then why am I so worried? I took his temperature again in the not so fun place and it was 102.6. I immediately called my sister and she politely danced around the question if I was paranoid. That seems awfully high for just a little cold. Anyway I say all of that to say, I now know how my mom feels whenever she worries about my sister and me. It is a nagging uneasiness that something is wrong and you have no control over the matter to fix it.



I know a lot of you look to see the pictures so here is a new one of Miles. This is from our trip to Fayetteville. Miles has just learned how to suck on a straw and cups fascinate him so this entertained him for a good 10 minutes. (Just in case you were worried that he would get some of the Haagn-Dazs rest assured that it was a non-dairy lemon fizzer.) He was extremely upset when he had to get in the car and mommy took it away.

1 comment:

Jessica Johnston-Myers said...

Sorry to hear that Miles is sick. Don't worry about being paranoid, that's part of your job as his mom.