Friday, August 31, 2007

Florida - Day 2

It is actually day 3 of our trip but I didn't get to post about day 2 - so I thought I better not slip up before I really got going on our trip log.
After everyone got up and had some coffee and breakfast in them we prepared for the beach. And I wasn't really prepared for the amount of planning it takes to get a baby to the beach. And having never been to the beach, I had no idea what I did or did not need to take. We finally got everything packed up and headed for the beach on our rented bikes. My bike is girlie girl pink and they aren't really "cool" bikes but rather beach cruisers like the one I used to make fun of my mom for riding. To make things even better, I am pulling a kiddie trailer to put Miles and all our stuff in. It was actually quite a bit of fun and I am considering investing in one when we get home. We didn't take a picture of the bike but we should today. I have never had a pink bike. All i need are some sparkly streamers and i will be in the third grade all over again.

It was a really gorgeous day for being at the beach - clear blue skies, not too hot. And the beach was just as pretty as the one in Pensacola - sugary white beaches and beautiful blue water. - what you picture a beach to be like. Kim and Matt brought a canopy and we landed in our spot on the beach. I learned a lot about what you need on the beach. A beach chair is very nice if you don't want to wallow in the sand - which we did - but we will not do again. I am serious about investing in some chairs or at least renting some for the remainder of our trip. A floaty of some sort would be nice for getting the water. I was only in the ocean for about 5-10 minutes but all these little fishes kept coming up and nibbling at your feet and legs. That freaked me out and I know I looked like a buffoon in the water dancing around. Turns out when you step in the sand, it stirs up their food, and they are just taking advantage of your movement, soooo if you are in a floaty you won't do that and therefore they will not nip at your toes....Oh and the other thing was the flag indicating the safety was on blue which means dangerous marine life. The only dangerous marine life I saw was those little white fish. I wish they would have been more specific so I could have been on the lookout.
Miles was somewhat indifferent to the beach. He was the only one in our party that was able to snooze at the beach. By the time we got there and set up, it was his nap time. We propped him up in his little chair and he snoozed away. I tried to lay on the beach and relax but it was near impossible as i rolled in the sand. Since I was already sandy, I decided to try and make a sandcastle. Unfortunately when I tried to get some help from Allison she decided it was demolition time.
We were out there for about an hour and decided it was time to go in.

That was about it for the day. Mason went for a massage while the rest of just hung out in the house. After much contemplation we went out to eat for dinner at a place called Pompano Joes in Destin. It was a seafood shack that was right on the beach. All the windows were open and you could see the ocean. The food was OK but it was neat how you sat right on the beach to eat. It was really fast to sit down and the food came fast. Speedy service is oh so important when you have a toddler and a baby with you.

It was after 9 when we got in. We got the kiddoes to bed and enjoyed a partial game of 12 step Rummy (which is just like Phase 10). We only got through the first 3 or 4 steps because i was falling asleep and couldn't hold my cards up. We will continue the game tonight. I was winning until the last hand which i then went from first to last place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad ya'll are having a good time. I've been really busy this week, but wanted to tell you that Brent and I had a great time last Friday night with you and Mason. We should definitely do that reguarly! Next time, we'll cook.
Take lots of pictures of Miles at the beach! - Laura