Sunday, August 15, 2010

Graduation to the top bunk

Miles has informed us lately that he is "growing big." He means growing up, but we all know what he means. And indeed he is. He has grown up so much over the summer - his demeanor, speech and phrasing, and memory abilities. He has going to the potty down. He is sharing better and following instructions better. And physically he is growing up; shorts that fit at the beginning of the summer are getting looser because he is getting taller and leaner. And now for the icing on the cake, he has graduated to the top bunk.

From 2010-08-08
I pulled out the baby monitor for the first few nights. I was terrified he was going to fall out of bed. I don't know how I thought that was possible with the HUGE bed guard. Worry seems to be a second nature for mothers and as always, it was all in vain. He is a pro at going up and down the ladder and avoiding the ceiling fan. I am sure we will have a misstep somewhere along the way, but it won't be because he is not able.

From 2010-08-08
Words do not express how proud he is of his top bunk. Can you tell it by the picture? Anyone who stops by the house, he pulls into his room and shows them the top bunk. It was his decision. He said he wanted to sleep up there and we put it all together for him. We practiced going up and down the ladder and getting in and out of bed. I asked him over and over if he was sure this is what he wanted to do. He jumped up and down and said "YES, pleeeeeeeeease!"

From 2010-08-08
It has turned out really well. The surprising part was that he chose to do this even after I told him I could not come up there and "snuggle". We have had 30 min (or longer if I fall asleep) snuggle sessions in order to fall asleep. As sweet as it is, it is probably not the best habit to fall into. He told me he understood I could not come up there and was okay with it. He now reads a book until he falls asleep with his lamp or a flashlight. A big boy indeed...

No comments: