Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The BIG one

We usually have two or three official Christmas parties during the holiday season but only one BIG one. What do I mean by BIG one? I mean one where we have to get all dolled up. This usually requires me finding something to wear - whether that means going shopping or borrowing something from a friend. I prefer the later option since this is usually an item of clothing that I have no place else to wear it. My dilemma is that most of my friends are not my size - either smaller or larger than me - so borrowing something doesn't work most of the time.

I tend to wait until the week before the party and at a frantic pace scurry around the racks hoping they won't lock me in the store. (I have a fear of being locked in a store overnight. I don't know where it came from. Those big gates they pull down over the doors scare me.)

It's surprising, I know. We clean up well don't you think?

Anyway, I started looking for a dress in November this year to avoid that scenario. In less than an hour I tried on about 50-75 dresses but finally found one and jewelry to go with it. My grandmother loaned me her fur wrap and the day before I found some shoes. And for the record, they were the highest heels I have ever worn in my whole life! Luckily I didn't fall down but avoided stairs at all costs.

My grandmother's fur and the heels of all heels.

I am always impressed at the locations Mason's office holds the parties. They aren't too shabby. This year it was at the governor's mansion. We have had it at the Clinton Presidential Library, the Arts Center and the Riverboat.

The china from the governor's mansion. I have a thing for dishes. I have always wanted to design my own china like the first lady gets to do. We did register for monogrammed china when we got married. That is about as close as I will get. Unless Mason runs for office. And like I said, that is as close as I will get.

The grand staircase. Each governor had their name embroidered on the carpet on each stair. As you can imagine, that staircase caused me quite a panic in my shoes.

Nifty gingerbread replication of the governor's mansion.

I had more fun this year than I have had in the past. Not because we did anything different but finally, after 5 years of seeing these people, I know a few by name and can chit-chat with them and their spouses without it being completely contrived and awkward. So this years party was a success. Let's just hope they can keep up this standard! And maybe I can find something else to wear that dress to.

Mason won the table centerpiece this year. I think its pretty and I can use the container next year but I will probably store holiday m&ms in it instead of flowers.

2 comments:

The Haywoods said...

You look so pretty! Your hair is way cute too. I'm kinda jealous of the short bob and highlights. :)
Oh and I loved the Christmas card too- those boys are precious. Love and Merry Christmas!

Beth said...

OH MY! you are gorgeous! (mason looks great as well, but lets face it - Momma getting all dolled up is a bigger deal!). And - you have that look on your face that says "no kids in the house and I am going to SLEEP!".