Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A former life

Its 9pm and I am actually finished with my (desk) work for the day - or night I should say. What should I do next? Sleep. No. Go clean out that bedroom that needs a transformation very soon. Nahh.
I think I will blog about a former life. I found a folder of pictures of a couple projects that I recently accomplished and I remember the incredible sense of fulfillment that came with these hobbies. I miss this life and I don't think these hobbies are forever gone, but on sabbatical right now due to time constraints - and space constraints. One day i will be able to share this with two little boys - maybe.

I love to make stuff. I enjoy being crafty. It was the day before the last day of Miles' Mother's-Day-Out and I thought, "Uh-oh. I need some end of the year gifts for his teachers." I didn't have time to really make anything super nice and funds were low, so I picked up some cheap mugs and coffee to stuff in them, and made a little cup of Joe for each teacher. I really debated whether to leave the mugs alone or paint them. I am sure the plain white mugs would have matched everyone's decor better, but I had to add some color to them. I used plain red acrylic paint to cover the bottom and make the dots, coated the bottom with a spray clear coat, and then used clear fingernail polish to cover the dots. I left a little note to not put in the dishwasher but it may still have all washed off after a couple washings.


I made a little card to go with it that said "thanks a latte" to tie it all together and a strip of vellum with the quote "Teachers touch eternity one child at a time." I think the cards took longer to make than the mugs. I was very proud of my quickie gift - it turned out darn cute and only cost me about $3 each.



I also enjoy playing in the dirt. We gave up the garden and most of the other yard duties except mowing last spring/summer because we had a new baby in the house and that tends to take up a lot of energy. About a month ago Miles went down for his morning nap. The house was clean. I didn't have any work to do. And I sat and looked at about 8 empty pots sitting on my patio. I decided to just up and go to the Hardware store and get some plants to add life to our sad little patio. I spent the remainder of the morning filling those pots, planting some daisies in our beds, and even adding a row to our tomato garden with some watermelons. (I am proud to report they have taken off and have actually made vines. We will see if any watermelons come from those vines.) I find eating food from your own garden one of the most satisfying and fulfilling experiences out there. (Other than nurturing and growing your own children of course.)

No comments: